Welcome to EMFscientist.org
The International EMF Scientist Appeal serves as a credible and influential voice from EMF (electromagnetic field) scientists who are urgently calling upon the United Nations and its sub-organizations, the WHO and UNEP, and all U.N. Member States, for greater health protection on EMF exposure.
As of June 15, 2019, 248 EMF scientists from 42 nations have signed the Appeal.
To: His Excellency Antonio Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations;
Honorable Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization;
Honorable Inger Anderson, Executive Director of the U.N. Environment Program;
U.N. Member Nations
Note: The Appeal was initially submitted on May 11, 2015
The Appeal is being signed by scientists who have published peer-reviewed papers on the biological or health effects of non-ionizing electromagnetic fields, part of the electromagnetic field (EMF) spectrum that includes extremely low frequency fields (ELF) emitted by electrical devices; and, radiofrequency radiation (RFR), used for wireless communications. Scientists who have published peer- reviewed papers in related fields and have been significantly engaged in EMF education, are recognized as Supporting Scientists.
The Appeal urgently calls upon the United Nations, the WHO, UNEP and the UN Member States to:
- Address the global public health concerns related to exposure to cell phones, power lines, electrical appliances, wireless devices, wireless utility meters and wireless infrastructure in residential homes, schools, communities and businesses.
The scientific findings identified by the signators and others justify this appeal. The World Health Organization (WHO) is encouraged to exert strong leadership in fostering the development of more protective EMF guidelines, to call for precautionary measures, and to educate the public about health risks, particularly risks posed to children and to normal fetal development. By not taking action, the WHO is failing to fulfil its role as the preeminent international public health agency.
- The United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP) is the U.N.’s “voice for the environment” and is uniquely positioned to take a planetary view of the potential for harm that EMF pollution presents to, biology -- evolution, health, well being, and very survival of all living organisms world-wide.
- We encourage the U.N. to ask UNEP to evaluate the scientific evidence and initiate an assessment of alternative exposure standards and practices that could substantially lower human exposures to non-ionizing electromagnetic fields.
For more information, see here.
Statement by the Advisors to the International EMF Scientist Appeal August 18, 2017
In addition to the technological advancements that have been transforming the electrical power and telecommunications industry over the last few decades, we are now witnessing a new infrastructure deployment – 5th generation (5G) wireless broadband, and the Internet of Things - that promises to establish a globally connected world. Some parts of 5G will operate at much higher frequencies than before, into the millimetre range. This new infrastructure will be transmitting through the environment with a multitude of low powered micro-sensors (emitters and sensors).
There is scientific evidence to cause concern among independent scientists, that this new infrastructure, on top of existing electrical and wireless infrastructures, will cause more harm to mankind and nature. People who suffer from electrical sensitivity are facing the reality that they may have no place to go that is free from EMF hazards.
New U.N. Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, issued in June 2017, realize that “the human rights of all” are an important aspect to achieving the U.N’s Sustainable Development Goals. These principles hold that business and investment do not come at the cost of human rights, based on the three pillars of “Protect, Respect and Remedy”. The current practice of deploying new technologies, without first completing an investigation to ensure there is no possible harm, violates these principles.
We recommend that, in keeping with the U.N. Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, to “Protect, Respect and Remedy", 5G technologies must be subjected to an independent health and safety assessment before they are launched.
We invite you to view a three-minute video of the late Dr. Martin Blank (1933-2018) announcing the Appeal. Dr. Blank brought over 30 years of experience conducting EMF research at Columbia University and served as president of the Bioelectromagnetics Society. In his own words, Dr. Blank gives a compelling explanation of the global public health crisis we are now facing due to increasing levels of environmental pollution from electrical and wireless infrastructures and devices that are supported by a multitude of EMF sources.
Do you want to sign the International EMF Scientist Appeal?
- You are qualified to sign the Appeal as an EMF scientist if you have published peer-reviewed papers in science journals on the biological and health effects of non-ionizing radiation.
- You are qualified to sign the Appeal as a Supporting Scientist if you have published peer-reviewed papers in a related field and have contributed in a sustained manner to increased understanding about EMF science and the need for more protective policies.
- Please provide accompanying citations.
Elizabeth Kelley, MA
On behalf of the Scientific Advisors to the International EMF Scientist Appeal: Magda Havas PhD., Henry Lai PhD., Ronald Melnick PhD., Joel Moskowitz PhD., and Annie Sasco, M.D., DR PH.
To contact us, click here
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."